Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Japan - WOW!

So I am officially in love with Japan. It has been such a blessing to have it as our last country on this most amazing journey. The amazing peace and tranquility you always hear about feeling in Japan is so absolutely true.

Our first stop was Tokyo. Matt and I were immediately entranced by this city. One minute you are in an ultra metropolis, then next, the most serene and blissful garden.

The first day we just explored the city. The Sony store is just ridiculous and we spent a good while checking out the 3D tvs, not yet for sale! Wow! I don't think they are quite in our price range, but oh so much fun! We also checked out the Imperial Palace and the very fun Fountain Park - of which Matt will post some pics. We saw some amazing temples as well with the most fascinating gardens.

These gardens are so simplistic it boggles the mind. If one was to just walk by you would see a few rocks, some moss and a ton of sand raked to perfection. However Matt and I learned that these rocks are so intricately studied and placed. There is so much thought, meaning and history behind the layouts of these gardens - and they have been in the exact same position for a thousand years!

It was just fascinating - and so peaceful. I think that is what has truly been the most remarkable thing about Japan. There are gardens EVERYWHERE and there is so much emphasis placed on the harmonization between nature and city. One minute you are at the Sony store, a few blocks away you are in a blissful garden, with ponds and lazy turtles suntanning on the surrounding rocks. There is such harmony and calm here, ugh, I really hope to take some of it back home with me!

And the Cherry Blossoms!!!!! There is so much celebration here for this time of year and I understand why. The beauty here just brings you to tears! Spring is just bursting everywhere and the cherry blossoms and other blossoming trees are just stunning.

What is also so catching to the eye is the contrast of the beautiful pinks and whites of the blossoms against the fresh vibrant greens of the willow trees. Pair that against the contrast of white rock, white sand, deep blue ponds and earthy moss and you have a match made in heaven!

We have had three amazing nights in Tokyo and as I write this (while consuming a delicious Sapporo) we are on our fourth and final night in Kyoto. Kyoto will be a whole new post as it is so much smaller and more quaint then Tokyo and such a stark contrast.

Today Matt and I were just beyond lucky to see a traditional Japanese wedding at one of the temples we visited. It was so stunning and the music, accompanied by two women in Kimonos dancing, literally brought me to tears. How lucky and privileged we were to see such a thing. It is something I will never forget and was certainly a highlight of the trip.

So Osaka tomorrow...then Takayama...then HOME. It's amazing the mix of emotions that course through my system when I think about this. So I just won't. All I have is NOW and I am going to enjoy EVERY second!

Missing all of you,
xxxxoooo

No comments:

Post a Comment